Breaking Down the Basics of California Proposition 65
Passed in 1986, California Proposition 65 (also known as Prop 65) is a law in the state of California that requires public notice of products containing dangerous or carcinogenic chemicals. For companies doing business in California, clear and reasonable warnings about a chemical’s ability to cause harm are required to be disclosed. Prop 65 currently has 900+ naturally occurring, manmade and synthetic chemicals and compounds that must be warned about.
In 2018, stricter Prop 65 warnings requirements for safety labels and signs went into effect, with three crucial updates. Let’s break each of them down:
1. All products manufactured after August 30, 2018 must comply with the law or face steep penalties for non-adherence.
2. Chemicals need to be fully identified and more detailed information needs to be provided regarding how a person may be exposed to such chemicals. Ways to reduce or eliminate exposure also needs to be included.
3. All Prop 65 warnings (including labels and signs) need to include:
- Language stating that a product “can expose you to” a specific Prop 65 chemical
- “Tailored” warnings providing specific information for certain kinds of exposures, products and places (parking garages, for example)
- A specific name of at least one chemical that prompted the warning
- The URL for CA’s Proposition 65 warnings website, offering additional information about the health effects of chemicals listed under the Prop 65 law and ways to reduce or eliminate exposure to these chemicals
- A yellow triangular warnings symbol
- Warnings in non-English languages in certain circumstances
Solutions for Prop 65
Clarion Safety Systems recently launched a full line of custom Prop 65 products, allowing for the design of personalized Prop 65 labels and signs to be completed right online. The goal of this particular product line is to help make it as easy as possible for our customers to become compliant with the current warnings requirements set forth in Prop 65. Failure to adhere to these strict requirements could result in fines as high as $2,500 per violation per day. Creating custom labels and signs for products and workplaces not only helps with adherence, it helps warn people about potential exposures to chemicals known to cause cancer, reproductive toxicity, birth defects and other harms.
Practice Prop 65 Labels and Signs
Ensuring that your equipment and products are in compliance with the requirements of CA Prop 65 is straightforward with Clarion Safety’s custom Prop 65 online product designers. The design process for custom prop 65 labels is nearly identical to the sign design process, with slight variations in material and sizing options. To begin the build process:
1. Choose your word message. Enter your word message in the first text box. Optional second and third lines of text are available to suit your needs. There is also an optional area to note any applicable font size requirements.
2. Select your material and size options. Labels can be created with either indoor or outdoor polyester in the following sizes: 2.75” x 1.35”, 4.00” x 2.00” and 5.50” x 2.70”. Signs are available in either white plastic, white aluminum or flexible polyester in 10.00” x 7.00”, 14.00” x 10.00” or 18.00” x 12.00” sizing options.
3. Approve your custom design. Our “Design Assistance” feature offers helpful tips on what to check for when reviewing your label or sign.
Once you have looked over your label and approved its design, Clarion Safety’s efficient production and shipping teams will prepare your order for turnaround.
Please note, “Warning” will be the signal word and symbol used on both labels and signs. “For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov” will be automatically printed on custom labels while “Additional information is also available at www.P65Warnings.ca.gov” will be automatically printed on custom signs.
Custom Prop 65 Label Designer
Design and Material
Clarion Safety’s custom Prop 65 labels and signs are made with premium materials and perform well in extreme high and low indoor and outdoor temperature environments, offer excellent chemical resistance and are RoHS, CRoHS and REACH compliant.
for All of Your Custom Printing Projects
In addition to customizable Prop 65 labels and signs, we offer over 75 individual online product designers to meet all of your custom printing needs. For projects ranging from safety compliance to branding and identification, Clarion Safety’s convenient custom printing solutions are constantly expanding to meet our customers’ unique needs and the needs of the industry. Would you like help designing a custom product? Get in touch with us today. Our entire customer service team is "Clarion Essentials" trained, meaning they have completed our proprietary, standards-based education curriculum. They are ready to help you make best practice choices for your visual communication projects.