What you need to know to be in compliance with California Proposition 65 requirements – including current listed chemicals and how to create custom Prop 65 warnings
Business owners located in California – from coffee sellers to manufacturing facilities to apartment complexes – as well as out-of-state companies selling products in California, are taking note of new updates to Prop 65, a decades-old law that’s been revamped.
The law requires companies doing business in California to provide warnings (including safety labels on products and signs in workplaces and public environments) before causing significant exposures to chemicals known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity. It’s not too late to get up-to-speed on the important facts you need to be aware of regarding the impact of the latest requirements.
New California Proposition 65 Warning Requirements for Safety
Labels and Signs
Proposition 65 has been amended and it’s time to be aware of, and in compliance with, the new requirements. Here are the top facts to know right now:
- Stricter Prop 65 requirements went into effect August 30, 2018 for all products manufactured after that date – and the stakes for not complying are high. Unless you’re an exempt business – such as one with less than 10 employees – it’s time to ensure you’re following the latest updates to the regulation. Penalties for violating Prop 65 by failing to provide warnings can be as high as $2,500 per violation per day.
- One of the biggest changes to Prop 65 is that warnings are now required to be more explicit. You’ll need to fully identify the chemical and provide more specific information about how a person may be exposed or ways to reduce or eliminate exposure. This is in line with the shift we saw in 2012 with OSHA’s hazard communication standard moving beyond just the “right to know” and towards the “right to understand” for chemical safety in the workplace.
- Your Prop 65 warnings, including safety labels
and signs, now need to include the following:
- Language that the product “can expose you to” a Prop 65 chemical rather than saying the product “contains” the chemical
- New “tailored” warnings that provide more specific information for certain kinds of exposures, products, and places
- The name of at least one chemical that prompted the warning
- The URL for California’s new Proposition 65 warnings website, which includes additional information on the health effects of listed chemicals and ways to reduce or eliminate exposure to them
- A triangular yellow warning symbol (the safety alert symbol) on most warnings
- Warnings in languages other than English in some cases
Become Prop 65 Compliant
At Clarion, we offer Proposition 65 product safety labels and signs to meet your compliance needs. We understand that time is of the essence, and are ready to work together to get you your warnings as quickly and efficiently as possible. Our quote response turnaround time is fast (typically one business day). Keep in mind that we can also work with you to fast track your order or delivery. The first step is knowing when a Prop 65 warning is needed and what chemical information needs to be listed.
Prop 65 List: 900+ Chemicals Used in Safety Warning Labels and
The California Prop 65 chemical list currently contains about 900 chemicals. Stay in-the-know with chemicals to be warned about on your labels and signs by downloading the list of chemicals . This list was last updated June 2019; keep in mind that the state of California is charged with maintaining the list at least once a year, but may update it more frequently.
2 Steps to Creating Custom Prop 65 Labels and
Creating Prop 65 labels and signs often involves customizing warnings to meet your exact requirements. Clarion Safety Systems recently released a new Custom Product Designer. Our online tool allows you to easily create your own custom Prop 65 safety labels and signs with the message needed for your application, including the chemical to be warned about. These custom labels and signs include a ‘Warning’ header and symbol, as well as the Proposition 65 warnings website, www.P65Warnings.ca.gov, needed for compliance. Its easy – a matter of two simple steps – to create your label or sign:
- Add your word message (up to three lines of text) and Prop 65 chemical, and then select a label size and material
- Choose your size and material from our list of most popular options
This blog was originally posted on 8/28/2018 and updated with new information.